Book Share and Linux

I have looked at some public-domain books from Bookshare in the "Daisy"
format.  They are NISO XML, built according to the draft of Z39.86 that
existed late last year.  They have an accompanying SMIL file, automatically
generated, a package file and an NCX.  The NCX references are to pages, not
to headings.  Text is marked up into paragraphs and page breaks.  The
Windows beta APH player can play them, for the most part.    I applaud what
they have done so far.  We must remember that all sorts of documents can be
NISO-compliant.  Probably David Pawson or another XSLT or PERL guru could
write a program that generates text.  Duxbury already has a NISO XML import
facility.  It, also, is not quite up-to-date with the way Z39.86 came out,
but it is still useful.

At 02:12 PM 6/14/02 -0400, you wrote:
>On Fri, 14 Jun 2002, John J. Boyer wrote:
>
>> David,
>> How would you separate pages with anchor text?
>> After all, Daisy must have some means of indicating page breaks and page
>> numbers, and I think it's XML.
>

>John and David:
>
>No, no, the new spec is XML exclusively. The existing DAISY 2.02
>spec, which is the protocol governing all DAISY distributions in
>place today--from Sweden, Japan, the U.K., and soon from
>RFB&D--is all DAISY 2.02 which is partly XHTML. In point of fact,
>text representations in DAISY 2.02 are XHTML, not XML.
>
>Only the new ANSI Z39.86 spec is fully XML and there are yet no
>implementations based on it, as there are yet no authoring tools,
>validators, user agents, or even reference books.
>
>We will see what it is that Book Share actually does with DAISY.
>I, frankly, haven't looked for myself.

Braille is the solution to the digital divide.
Lloyd Rasmussen, Senior Staff Engineer
National Library Service f/t Blind and Physically Handicapped
Library of Congress    (202) 707-0535  <lras@loc.gov>
<http://www.loc.gov/nls>
HOME:  <lras@sprynet.com>       <http://lras.home.sprynet.com>