Från: blinux-list-admin@redhat.com
[mailto:blinux-list-admin@redhat.com]För Janina Sajka
Skickat: den 15 juni 2002 17:04
Till: blinux-list@redhat.com
Ämne: Re: playing .au files and audio tools

Hi, Jim:

You've asked several questions, so I will quote your message in
order to associate my response to a particular question.

On Sat, 15 Jun 2002, Jim Stevenson wrote:

> I need to play .au audio files.
> Can I play them on my Dos box connected to a unix main frame?
While this is theoretically possible, I'm unaware of any way to
do it.

> Do you know of a Dos utility that can play them under Dos?
No.

> What are the best speech friendly audio tools on which brands of linux?
The particular Linux distribution doesn't matter. My previous
answers in this regard are still my view, stick to either Red
Hat, Debian, or Slackware, and base your choice on your suource
of support. In other words, it will be harder for someone who
knows Red Hat to help you should you choose Debian, and vice
versa.

Let me say to you again, get off the fence and get a Linux system
working. In this day, when powerful Pentiums with multigigabyte
hard disks and hundreds of megs of RAM can be had for well under
$1,000, there just isn't any excuse--even if you do it with your
own money. If you're afraid to give up what you have now in order
to get Linux, don't give it up, just get another computer.
However you do it, just do it. If you wait much longer your
learning curve will only grow steeper, because GNOME
accessibility and the Gnopernicus screen reader will be here by
year's end. If you wait for that, you will find yourself learning
not only the Linux command line, which will continue to be
important, but graphical computing.

Now the other part of that question--speech friendly, console
mode sound tools:

csound
ecasound
sox

These are sound processing tools. There are, of course, a range
of others--alsa, ogg-vorbis, bladeenc, cdparanoia, etc., etc.

What is it you want to do with sound? Some things are possible,
some are even easy. Other things, like MIDI sequence editing, are
not.

> Which will work using a dos pc as a terminal?
Well, if the two computers are side by side, all of them because
you'll hear the sound from the speakers attached to the sound
card installed on your Linux computer based on the commands you
type on the neighboring DOS computer.

If this is what it takes to get you into Linux, do it. You'll
soon find you don't really need that DOS computer--but if it's
the crutch you need to get started, by all means lean on it.

> If you must quote me, please put your comments first.
I generally try to honor your request in this regard. This
instance seemed to warrant an exception. Please pardon. No
offense is intended.