Links (with an I), Lynx (with a Y) and inaccessible sites

I confess I hadn't been following this issue since I wasn't interested
in the site or interested in discussions of whether linux could be
considered mainstream or not.  I hadn't realized just how general the discussion
has become. Is the general point now the cracking of javascript?  If
so then I'm investigating a solution (I raised this point a couple of
months ago I think).  The idea is to use an existing javascript
interpretter to convert the functions which actually *do* anything
into html code.  This followed a pointer from T.V. Raman on how he
would go about this.  The chosen vehicle (again at TVR's suggestion)
is rhino, a javascript interpretter implemented in java.  The idea
will be to make this available in a proxy server so that people won't
need to run java locally to run this.  The going is slow since I'm
having to learn java as I go.  Parenthetically I'm surprised how much
it resembles Objective-C I used a decade ago on a Next.  I'm not able
yet to say whether this solution will work even but the tools seem to
have the capability for the task.
I'd be delighted if someone else wants to help ... take over
... suggest a much easier alternative or whatever.  But if not I'll
push on with this and let people know when I've got something worth
looking at.
cheers
Peter