query on the emacspeak command prompt

Hello,

Before I begin, here are a few words on emacs notation.

In a conventional emacs document, we write things like "c-x" to
indicate "ctrl-x", "m-x" for "meta-x", and so on.  The "meta" key is
either the "alt" or the "escape", both keys usually work.  In the case
of "alt", you hold it while pressing the other key, just as you would
"ctrl".  I use these conventions below.

There is no notion of "clearing" a 'shell-mode' buffer.  I suppose one
could set the mark at the top, go to the bottom, and cut the text,
but, what would this serve?  Remember, a 'shell' buffer has no
terminal emulation, and, therefore, such codes as would clear screen,
redraw screen, move cursor, and the like, won't work.  Emacs has a
'term-mode' in which there is some emulation.  You can run any
terminal application in this mode, and emacspeak will be able to
review a kind of "off-screen model".  I think you will find, as I have
done, that emacs's specialized modes can provide more-convenient
access than can scraping a terminal screen, though there's much to
learn.  Fortunately, emacs and its extensions are self-documenting.

Emacs, and, by extension, emacspeak, has modes for managing
directories, reading manual pages, and more.  Though you can use the
'ls' command in a 'shell' buffer, why not use the "dired" facility of
emacs.  To look at the current directory with this mode, do "c-x d".
When prompted for the directory, just hit "enter" for the current.
You have a number of directory management commands, similar to those
offered by a utility like Midnight Commander.

Though you could use the "man" command from a 'shell' or 'terminal'
buffer, again, why not use emacs's "man-mode".  To invoke this, type
"m-x man <ret>".  you'll be prompted for the name of the man page you
want.  Type it in, hit <ret>, and switch to the new "man-mode" buffer.

To get some help for any emacs buffer from within emacspeak, you can
type "c-h c-m".  Switch to the "help" buffer which will open.  There
are also many documents bundled with emacs.  These are in the
"texinfo" format, for which there's native emacs support.  Also, there
is the user community, but, you knew that already:).  If I may be of
further help, ask on or off list.

Good Luck,

-Dave