hard drive usage advice

On Sat, Jun 29, 2002 at 09:00:46PM -0500, Travis Roth wrote:
> Hi all,
> I need some pointers of where to read more about Linux's disk drive management.
>
> I installed RedHat 7.3 on and asked it to be installed using the server configuration. This appears to have partitioned the drive into 6 partitions. (I allowed it to partition according to the installer's defaults.)
> Of concern to me is /dev/hda2 has 20GB of space alocated and it is assigned to the /usr directory.
> /dev/hda3 has about 8GB and is assigned to /home.

Never use defaults, they are bad.

I use:
/  150MB
swap (RAM x 2)
/usr 2GB
/var 200 - 500 MB
/tmp 100 - 350 MB
/home the rest of the drive

That makes it easy to upgrade or reinstall the OS without wiping out /home
for users.

No need for any other partitions IMO.

> The /home directory is where all my accounts are and where lots of files
> will be stored. How can I keep it from running out of space? Will Linux
> automatically switch to another partition for /home when /dev/hda3 fills up?
> Thanks!

You need to partition the drive for the functionality you intend to use
your server for. That means repartition it with smaller /usr and bigger
/home

The OS will not automaticaly use space on different partitions. It's not
windows to write all over the place.

--
Rafael
The Gap Between the Rich and the Poor is Constant.