OFF TOPIC: Will Redhat Become a Division of AOL Time-Warner?

On Mon, Jan 21, 2002 at 08:53:10PM +0100, Hans Zoebelein wrote:
> Rafael,
>=20
> from the Blinux at http://www.leb.net/blinux/blinux-faq.html#toc1.2
>=20
> > 1.2 Q: Which postings are on topic for blinux-list?
> >
> >  A: All themes which are related to 'eyes free' access to the Linux
> > operating system are on topic for blinux-list. Also themes like
> > installing, configuring maintaining and improving blind related softw=
are
> > or hardware. So is news related to software or hardware for the Linux
> > user who is blind.=20
> >

> > 1.3 Q: Which postings are off topic for blinux-list?
> >
> >  A: Blinux-list is not intended as a place to get answers for general
> > Linux questions; there are plenty of resources available on the net f=
or
> > this. Typical off topic postings are general Linux questions, virus
> > warnings, advertisements (spammers will be banned). If appropriate, u=
se
> > personal email when you want to communicate with a list member. This =
> > provides pointers to useful places where to search for information.=20
>=20
>=20
> A Redhat merger may affect users of Redhat and therefore also users of=20
> Redhat who are blind. Discussing the future behaviour of AOL/Time Warne=
r/Redhat
> when it comes to blind support for Linux would be on topic here.
> But who would know anything substantial about that?=20
>=20
> So any 'discussion' about a potential merger wouldn't be anything than=20
> idle talk. I have widened the frame of topics at blinux-list to the
> limits, as long as there is a glimmer of relationship to blind support
> under Linux. But there is a 'maximum pain' limit.
>=20

That's what I thought. This mailing list is on one of their servers as fa=
as I can tell so it might get affected by the merger. Also, the discussio=
n=20
comes up about other distributions which is "out of redhat domain".

Perhaps there should be a complete domain dedicated to everything for
linux users with limited or no vision. Perhaps it would be a good idea to
have more than one mailing list to separate technical issues from whateve=
else is of interest to the users. I checked blinux.org and found that it'=
already in use so something else would be needed in case people wanted=20
independence from a certain corporate entity.

>=20
> PS: Redhat is a linux distributor like many others. They don't own Linu=
x.
> So if you feel that other distributors offer better blind support (SuSE
> is really engaged in making Linux accessible for users who are blind),
> vote with your feet and install that Linux distro, that meets your need=
s best.
>=20
> PPS: Redhat is so kind to host blinux-list on their servers. Besides
> this, there is no other relation between Redhat and blinux-list.
>=20

Understood but a more independance wouldn't hurt. People should have a=20
choice IMO.

>=20
> Enjoy!
> --Hans
>=20
>=20
> On Sun, 20 Jan 2002, Rafael wrote:
>=20
> > On Mon, Jan 21, 2002 at 12:05:32AM +0100, Hans Zoebelein wrote:
> > > Sorry to say that discuss=EDons about a merger of Redhat and AOL ar=
e off
> > > topic here at blinux-list. Please check out what is the topic of
> > > blinux-list at http://www.leb.net/blinux/blinux-faq.html
> >=20
> > Just checked and I see no problem with users discussing RedHat or=20
> > whatever Linux related business. After all, some blind users do use R=
edhat=20
> > distribution and might get affected by what happens to Redhat.
> >=20
> > >From blinux-faq.html
> >=20
> > "So is news related to software or hardware for the Linux user who is=
 blind."
> >=20
> > Sorry, I do not agree with you on this issue. There were other less=20
> > appropriate issues discussed on the list and I don't remember any=20
> > complains.
> >=20
> > >=20
> > > Best Regards