booting in to linux.

On Mon, Jan 14, 2002 at 11:00:16PM -0600, cbowman@netdoor.com wrote:

> hi listers. I have a question. I am getting ready to install linux on my
> computer but, i need to find something to help me to choose wich os i will
> boot up in to . I have win95 on this computer, and am keeping it my hard
> drive is partisioned 3 ways 1 is for just windows junk, the secont is for
> dos, and the third will be for linux. I know about partision majic but,
> short of that is there something that i can just download from someware to
> use. thanks alot?  btw, the kind of linux I have I have slakeware 8.0, and
> braillespeek i think is the name of it. I didn't see eanything for this on
> the cds. thanks alot.

The oldest linux loader called LILO is one way to select and boot
different operating systems. However, there is an alternative with more
capabilities and flexibility in my experience. That alternative is grub.
What's most important about it is that it doesn't matter where the kernles
are. Another words, the BIOS limitation of 1024 cylinders is not limiting
you to boot from partitions that reside beyond 1024th cylinder.

Most distributions use lilo as a default OS loader. RedHat since 7.2
started to give you a choice for grub as well. There are RPM packages to
install grub on most distributions and I'm sure there is a package for
Debian as well.

One more thing, you can only install grub under Linux as far as I can
tell.

I suggest you create more partitions than just one for Linux. You need at
least 2 but upgrades and backups are much nicer when Linux is installed
with more than 2 partitions.

Disk drives are cheap these days and it's a good idea to have linux on
another drive so you don't need to worry about the partitions etc.

Good luck,

--
Rafael