AFT -- Almost free text.

I don't know if Word is clever enough or not - I don't have a copy of it. But
for the few people who insist I give them something in Word format it would
be helpful to have a tool that produces real Word format, rather than just
imports the text.

I do use these tools for HTML regularly, and appreciate them.

cheers

Charles

On Fri, 11 Jan 2002, Dave Mielke wrote:

  [quoted lines by Charles McCathieNevile on January 11, 2002, at 12:42]

  >Aaah. The value of this tool (which I am imagining through my experience of a
  >tool called txt2html) is that it recognises common text formatting
  >conventions (which can vary from page to page) and converts them into markup
  >which is richer and more explicit. If it is a reasonably good tool, and
  >txt2html certainly is, so I imagine it will be, it is useful.

  I understand that, but am still perplexed. Isn't Word smart enough to do that
  for itself? I still don't understand the need to use a clever common format
  detecter to prepare the plain text file before it's passed on to the Word user.
  I'd understand if the original user intended to maintain the document in its
  new format from then on, but that, at least to me, didn't appear to be the
  case.