AFT -- Almost free text.

	I will weigh in a bit on this topic.  Everybody else
around me primarily uses Microsoft Windows and related products.
This whole campus of roughly twenty-thousand students and another
three-thousand give or take a few hundred staff members uses and
sometimes barely uses Windows and products that run on Windows.
We have a few Mac users and those of us who are FreeBSD and Linux
users, but I feel great if I can just hand somebody a file and
say, "Here.  This is what you needed."

	Information is what this game is all about and my hope is
that Linux will make it easier for computer users who are blind
to function along side everyone else.

	I send and receive ASCII files all the time and people
use them, but just as we would rather get sound files we can
play and text files we can read without doubling the cost of our
work stations or going to a lot of various other forms of hassle,
the general user community wants stuff they can use without a lot
of trouble.

	Utilities that convert one format in to another should be
our stock and trade since smart employers and instructors will
not get nearly as hung up about whether or not we can do this or
that job if we can simply make our system work with the existing
infrastructure.

	I am not ranting at anybody or saying that anybody is
wrong, only that I like it if I can take something I am
comfortable using, feed it in to a filter or format converter and
come out with some gibberish in standard output or sent to some
file that the other guy is happy with.

	I don't know how many care, but this happens all the time
when you make an international telephone call.

	The digital ISDN lines in Europe and many other countries
use something called A-law encoding for audio.  It is a
piece-wise handling of the logarithmic values which
represent sound levels.

	In North America, our ISDN lines have a piece-wise
logarithmic function which is slightly different.  It is called
MU-Law encoding.  Audio encoded with one scheme sounds positively
terrible if received on a telephone built for the other system so
there are digital converters that substitute MU-Law for A-Law
encoding as the audio flies back and forth across the pond.

	I believe that our /dev/audio device is set up to receive
MU-Law signals, here, and you can set your /dev/audio in Europe
for A-Law, but I may be dead wrong.  My point is that it is a
neighborly thing to do if you can communicate with the rest of
the world in a manner that works for all.

	We Linux users probably have more flexibility built in to
the operating system than non-UNIX users so building converters
should be a lot less painful for us.

	I am sorry if this sounds like a rant, but it is a
positive rant if such a thing exists.

Martin McCormick WB5AGZ  Stillwater, OK
OSU Center for Computing and Information Services Network Operations Group