AFT -- Almost free text.

The value of a richer format (Word, for those who have Word, HTML, for those
who have a browser, etc) is that it can include more information. For
example, borwsers can extract the headings from an HTML page and present a
"page outline" (word does a similar thing, and did it first) that should give
a good guide to where the important parts are - a simple table of contents
with some idea of the relative importance. Or can skip over a list of items
easily. Or can extract a list of the links (many JAWS users navigate by this
technique, because they learn it early, although it isn't nearly as powerful
for reading documents as an outline view).

etc.

The worst case is that users still just get plain text. The best case is that
they get a lot more information, that was once only encoded by means of
fairly visually-oriented formatting conventions derived from paper, and have
tools that can do useful things with it.

cheers

Charles McCN