BEAM XVI Linux Software, X-Windows access for the visually impaired andblind

BEAM has developed a software package to assist visually impaired and
blind
people in the use of Unix X-Windows systems. It is called the XVI system
and
has been in use for a number of years.
The current system is implemented as a hardware/software solution in the
form
of an X-Windows network terminal.

We have performed an initial port to the Linux operating system.
However,
although usable, some aspects of the system need further work.
This includes drivers for different devices and interfaces to different
GUI toolkits such as KDE, GNOME and TK.

We have so far developed this product on our own. We are now looking for

funding to enable us to open this product into the public domain under a
GPL
type licence. This would enable the XVI system to be free to users and
allow
the community of Linux software developers to improve the system.
This, we believe, would be the best solution for the visually impaired
and
blind Linux user and Linux system distributors.

What we would need is an initial sum of money to develop the system a
little
further and to open it under a GPL like licence. Once this is done we
would
like to release the source code to the developer community in CVS form
and
manage its development.

We have produced a web site giving a technical description of the
product
and its current development activity. There is a demo version of the
software
available on our web site.

We would welcome anyone to have a look and provide feedback on this.

Please contact xvil@beam.demon.co.uk.

Mail:  mailto:xvil@beam.demon.co.uk
WebSite: http://www.beam.ltd.uk/xvil/

--
  Dr Terry Barnaby                     BEAM Ltd
  Phone: +44 1454 324512               Northavon Business Center, Dean Rd