Formating home partition as fat?

On Tue, 19 Feb 2002 fleytin@sci.smolensk.ru wrote:
> could share data on it. I have 10 gb hard disk, but my bios gives me
> access only to 4 gb. I saved 1 gb for planned Linux installation and
> have remaining 3 gb for my Win-98 system. I actually have 2 fat

If you look at the output of "dmesg" after bootup, before the
ring buffer loses the older stuff (on Red Hat systems it is saved
in /var/log/dmesg, right after bootup), you will find that the
kernel knows far more about your drives than the bios does.
Linux often ignores what the (sometimes pretty stupid) bios
thinks, and gets the real info directly from the hardware, when
available (as it is in modern IDE drives).  You could see if
linux can see the real facts about your drive, and possibly use
it anyway.  List your partitions with sfdisk instead of fdisk:

sfdisk -lx > partition-listing

Hopefully it will show a bunch of unused space.  You could also
run "hdparm -i /dev/hda" and see what you get.

I assume that you had to lie to the old bios about the size of
your drive, and you couldn't tell it what kind of drive it was in
the last user specified choice.  If you did modify the partition
table to use the new space (assuming you can see it), what would
be the effect on win9x?  I have no experience with such a
situation, so I leave it to others to relate their experiences,
if any.  I know from experience that Linux often ignores bios
limitations, but where there's a drive involved, you could lose
data, if things didn't work out, maybe only with win9x.  If no
one here knows more, I'd suggest you post this on, say, the very
high volume comp.os.linux.setup newsgroup (it's really more on
topic for that group anyway).  As always, be sure you supply them
whatever relavant info you have collected.  You might also be
able to turn up something by searching in the usenet news
archives on google.com .

It is also possible to get add in drive interface cards that are
much smarter, and probably fairly cheaply.  The last time I
needed one for an old motherboard that had no interface for
drives, I paid about $17.00, and the card also had some other
ports on it.  If your motherboard has a drive interface, you
might have to turn it off, probably through the bios.  I also
purchased another really smart drive interface card for about
$50, that could function as another IDE interface (linux can see
up to 4 interfaces, if you can find slots for them, for a total
of 8 drives).  For old machines, used interface cards should be
dirt cheap (but documentation might be a problem, unless you can
find the maker's web site...).

> So i wonder if i can tell Linux to accept my extended fat
> partition as its home partition without reformating it? Any
> suggestions will be highly appreciated.

Your former vfat line in fstab:
> > > /dev/hda3               /dos                    vfat    defaults        1 0

New line (change /dos /home):
/dev/hda3               /home                    vfat    defaults        1 0

But first you might want to move /home to something like
/old-home, so anything in it won't get hidden (covered up) by the
mount, and make a new home dir:

mv /home /old-home
mkdir /home
umount /dos
mount /home

Then you'd maybe want to copy your old personal dir tree to the
newly mounted partition.  This is ok for a while, but there are
some disadvantages to vfat partitions in speed, security,
permissions, and fragmentation (see the article pointed to by my
signature for details).  I'd probably just make a symlink in my
home dir to the existing /dos:
ln -s /dos /home/your_login_name/dos
or whatever you want for a shortcut.

LCR

--
L. C. Robinson
reply to no_spam+munged_lcr@onewest.net.invalid

People buy MicroShaft for compatibility, but get incompatibility and
instability instead.  This is award winning "innovation".  Find
out how MS holds your data hostage with "The *Lens*"; see
"CyberSnare" at http://www.netaction.org/msoft/cybersnare.html