beep at login: found some answers

Cheryl Homiak said the following on Tue, Feb 19, 2002 at 04:09:59AM -0600:
> One answer would be to put contrl-g in the /etc/issue file but i didn't
> figure out how to do it.

You can open the /etc/issue with vi and do it that way.

vi /etc/issue

Then from within vi

esc O ^G esc ZZ

> My computer already boots at the boot prompt--or actually, close enough to
> it for me to manage, but the computer i'm working on doesn't, so I'm going
> to try to find a way to put something like this in lilo.conf too.
> But appending won't work in that case.

You could try this.  In my lilo.conf I have the line:

message=/boot/boot_message.txt

And in the file /boot/boot_message.txt I have this:

^G
Welcome to the Linux boot loader!

Again, with vi you can just do an actual pressing of control-g while in
insert mode.

Remember to run 'lilo -v' once you make changes to lilo.conf.  This
should work for you.

Take care.

--
If you are good, you will be assigned all the work.  If you are real
good, you will get out of it.