Workstation or server?

On Fri, Feb 08, 2002 at 01:44:44PM +0100, Gil Andre wrote:

> Octavian/L.C.
>
> Here are a few qiuick thoughts on the subject...
.... deleted

> In the Windows world, there is quite a lot of difference between
> the Win2K "server" and "workstation" versions. With Linux, a
> workstation can act as a server and vice-versa.
>
> The only difference is the amount of software that gets installed
> on your machine -- Red Hat "Server" can therefore turn your machine
> into a web server, an FTP server, etc.

RedHat is very bad in a sense that they don't know what the server is.
Another words, they are like first Ford cars, you could get any color as
long as you wanted it black. What they should have done is break the
installation into two major sections, workstation and servers. Each
section should be divided into subsections where you can select what kind
of workstation (software developer, game player, graphics designer, etc.)
or server (WWW server, NFS, DNS, etc.).

We are dealing with their poor selection every day at work and it's very
annoying when you need to reinstall "server" with different
configuration for QA many times.

> This being said, I totally agree that you should *not* install the
> Server version: having too many services available on your machine
> is a bad idea, and pretty much useless if all you want is learn
> about Linux.

While I agree with the statements above, the last one is where I don't.
If you want to learn about linux you better install everything and then
poke around. That's the way I've done it. You do not necessarily enable
all services but that's very easy after you learn the basics.  That's
assuming you have enough disk space which is about 4 GB for RedHat
distribution these days. Also, if you want to develop or manage any kind
of server you better have that installed somewhere to test before the
deployment.

--
Rafael