Workstation or server?

It sounds like these are choices from a Redhat installation. Igf I am
correct in that, you definitely do not want the workstation installation,
because its package selections will be skewed toward X, and will leav out
character-based applications that you actually want. An example of what is
left out is the lynx web browser. Of course, packages can always be added
later, but that's a chore, and it's especially a chore for the new user.

I wish I could tell you about the server option, but I cannot because I
haven't tried it. It may be a good choice, and I should test my theory
someday.

If you have the hard drive space--about 3.5 gB, take custom. When you get
to the individual package screen, press the "end" key to go to the bottom
choice which is everything.

L.C.'s concern about listening servers is the right thing to be concerned
about. Fortunately, Redhat starts out with almost everything that can get
you into trouble disabled. You have to turn these servers on before
they're active, even though they're installed. Also, you will shortly come
on a firewall configuration menu where you can select high security and
absolutely everything will be closed. Unless you have a reason to have
something open, this is a good choice. You, yourself can certainly get
out, and you can retrieve mail. You just won't have anything listening for
connections.

PS: The firewalling script can be rerun at any time. Just type setup as
root.

--

				Janina Sajka, Director
				Technology Research and Development