BRLTTY and RedHat 7.3 boot disks.

I hope this'll be a lesson in the unreliability of wild guessing. No laptop was
treated like a football. No strange disk formats were being used. No floppy
disks and/or drives were faulty. No BIOSes had relevant bugs. Here's what the
actual problem turned out to be.

The mkbd script in BRLTTY's Bootdisks subdirectory rewrites the syslinux.cfg
file. It does this by creating the new copy of the file in a temporary Linux
file called cfg, and then replacing syslinux.cfg with the new content. The fix
was to change "mv -f cfg mnt1/syslinux.cfg" to "cp cfg mnt1/syslinux.cfg".
This change will be in BRLTTY 3.1. If you need to make it before then, it's on
line 19 of the Bootdisks/mkbd script.

Theoretically, this change (using "cp" instead of "mv -f") shouldn't make any
difference. The fact that it does must mean that syslinux is defficient in the
way that it's searching the FAT for vmlinuz. The original "mv" command has the
potential to move things around whereas the new "cp" command ensures that the
layout of the FAT isn't altered.

Once again: The big lesson here is that, as is usually the case, each problem
needs and deserves a proper analysis rather than a zillion guesses.

EMail: dave@mielke.cc | Canada  K2A 1H7   | if you're concerned about Hell.
http://familyradio.com