Connecting to the Internet ; editing LIO; setting up the sound card

Hello
I've got further today than I have all week.  I found a generic driver on a
French web site that I found this morning.  I got it to work at last and ran
the wvdialconf command.  at first it said that it couldn't write to the
config file because it was busy.  I tried a few variations of the wvdialconf
command and eventually got it to work by typing /usr/bin/wvdialconf
/etc/wvdial.conf that worked and I edited the file.  I ran wvdial but it
said that it couldn't find the right phone number, user name or password.  I
updated cron and found a file called wvdial.conf~ but when I try to edit it
in emacs it tells me that the buffer is read only.  I tried to rename the
wvdial.conf file to wvdial.conf~ but that didn't work either.  Can any one
help?  I was under the impression that if I used the line wvdialconf
/usr/bin/wvdialconf it would edit the /etc/wvdial.conf config file.

Darragh
P.S. I've found somewhere that I should use touch /etc/wvdial.conf to create
the file /etc/wvdial.conf to allow wvdialconf to edit it.