brltty/braillelite and thinkpad laptop

I can't seem to get either the braillelite or brltty to work with my new
thinkpad t23 laptop. i'm not sure which is the problem, though I would think
it's more likely a setting in the braillelite than a brltty problem.
when I first couldn't get the debian distribution to work with my rescue, root
and brltty disks which work fine on my desktop, but could get speakup to work, I
thought it might be the difference in kernels. the debian woody
default kernel is 2.2.20 and the speakup install disks are using 2.4.17. that
still may be part of the problem. However, I encountered the same problem with
the Red Hat disks; btw the system in the brltty bootdisks directory works very
nicely for RH7.3. Btw I'm not sure which kernel RH7.3 is using.
I know the problem isn't the serial port because both speakup in linux and asap
in dos
are working fine. FWell, unless it's something specific to the serial port and
the braillelite or brltty.
Has anybody had any experience like this or does anybody have any ideas?
Thanks.

Cheryl