talking handheld

I'm not visualy impaired, just trying to help a bit here and there.

The device, Sharp Zaurus, has a tiny keyboard for input, I assume there
is a way to attach larger keyboard, but you can use pickboard, unicode,
and handwriting which is probably not suitable for visualy impaired
without audio output. Some innovative company could come out with
attachments assisting visualy or otherwise impaired people.

I forgot to mention it only cost me $299 for the PDA itself on sale. You
can pay the same for mini MP3 player that has only one function, ply
music.  Wireless cards go for around $130. Prices might come down from
the current street price of about $450.

My current internal memory usage: 32MB total, 21 MB Used, 11 MB
available. Since flash memory is getting unbelievably cheap it's not
hard to decide to buy additional storage for user applications and data.
I've seen 128 MB CF memory for less than $80 on sale. With that kind of
storage and hepufuly sufficient CPU power one could run text to speech
programs.

Since the OS is open source I'm sure one could port many programs from
other platforms to run in Zaurus. Dependig on memory and CPU usage,
speech programs should be no exception.

Only (?) 20 years ago I used to work on mainframe computers that had
less memory, CPU was way slower, and data storage, i.e. disk drives
stored only about 40 MB per disk pack. Oh, and the only sound was noise
from huge motors and fans.

Rafael