Problem installing Red Hat linux 7.2

Barbara,

I'll try to answer to your original question and some comments that
followed in the thread.

It's very rarely to have problems with installing Linux on modern
machines these days. I wonder why you decided to use RAID on your
system? Hardware based RAID should not be a problem for Linux. We use
ATA and SCSI RAID at work without problems. However, the setup was
giving me a hard time with earlier versions of Redhat, 7.0, and 7.1.

It's my opinion that unless you are running a server on the network it
makes little sense to run RAID on a multiboot machine. I would rather
invest into good backup device like tape drive or DVD writer than run
RAID configuration in home box. I doubt that performance will be an
issue in what I suggest. RAID feature on your high performance
motherboard is better suitable for critical servers in corporate
environment than home use IMO. It's possible to tweak disk drive
parameters in kernel for faster data transfer which will be better than
under RAID.

Since you don't have requirements for high quality graphics, disk drives
will be able to put up with most programs you use unless you run Oracle
database with thousands of requests per second from the network or such
for example.

My suggestion is to setup disk drives in non RAID configuration and
install Linux on separate disk drive. That way you are less likely to
loose everything in case one OS takes down everything due to virus,
hardware problems, or security reasons.

I also see no problem in using Redhat 7.2. It's the first in the version
7 series worth using. Some people need to understand that you cannot
always go with the latest distribution for all kinds of reasons. We use
older versions many times in order to support software for customers who
run older versions as well. Some commercial software doesn't necessarily
work with the latest distribution due to dependencies issues so you have
to use earlier version. I believe it's OK to install RH7.2 and update it
with the latest patches.

Linux is well supported in communities and industry. Since this is going
to be a system for home use I suggest you ask your friend to get in
touch with local Linux Users Group in your area. Many Linux groups run
monthly installfests where people bring their machines to have Linux
installed. Friendly Linux enthusiasts will help you out with it.

Quick search for "Boston LUG" lead me to http://www.blu.org They claim
to have many meetings at M.I.T. If that's not close enough to you there
might be another group in the area. I'm from the West coast and not
familiar with Boston Linux scene.

And put the old PC to good use. 100 MHz Pentium is fast for many
things under Linux.

Good luck.

--
Rafael