Problem installing Red Hat linux 7.2

I presume that since you want performance you are talking about RAID0. RAID1
gives you reliability, but sucks performance.

Support for your hardware is _much_ more likely to be available in more recent
releases of Red Hat Linux.

I think you should try _at least_ Red Hat Linux 7.3; probably the latest beta
of Red Hat Linux 8.0, (null) - yes, that is its name.

I note that the (null) beta has support for the doubletalk synthesiser.

If you tell us some detail about the hardware, someone might be able to give
you better information.

You might also consider a separate drive on the primary IDE controller to boot
from. Or even trying a system without the RAID to see whether the performance
actually matters that much. In upgrading from a Pentium you may be
underestimating the power of the new machine.

No new text from here;-)

On Wednesday 21 August 2002 15:38, Barbara J Wagreich wrote:
> HI:
>
> i'm having a new PC custom built for me.  It already has DOS, Window s98,
> and Windows 2000 installed on it.  It is a 2GHZ Pentium 4 machine using an
> ABIT motherboard.  I just received this message from the person who is
> building it for me:
>
> I've run into a problem with Linux.  Linux does not appear to support the
> IDE RAID controller, at least for booting.  The IDE RAID controller does
> not
> support CD-ROMs or ZIP drives.  The only way around this seems to be
> moving
> the hard drive to the main IDE controller in parallel with one of the
> other
> drives, but this is undesirable for performance reasons.  An alternative
> would be to install a second hard drive just for Linux (it would still
> result in reduced performance for that drive).
>
> Any comments on this?  Is it possible to install Red Hat Linux 7.2 sothat
> the mail IDE controller is not used?  Are there any other recommended
> solutions?
>
> this person feels it would be better to install linux on an older machine
> by itself.  I don't really have room for the machine.  It is a 7-year old
> machine and has the original Pentium chip with a speed of 100mhz.  The
> current disk drive is a small 2GB SCSI disk and we would probably ahve to
> get an IDE disk.  I was hoping to have all three operating systems ont he
> same machine tos ave space.
>
> I'd welcome any feedback you may have on this subject.
>
> Thanks,
> Barb

Cheers
John.

Please, no off-list mail. You will fall foul of my spam treatment.