Using SSH

"John J. Boyer" <director@chpi.org> writes:

> When I type
> ssh domain.com
> I get a message saying "host domain.com cannot be authenticated. RSA
> Fingerprint Key is 1124i479878970985. Co you wish to continue?  Yes or
> No." I suppose I am supposed to have a complementary key or whatever it is
> caled, but I don't know how to get it. So where do I go from here?

This is the host-key.  The message indicates that you didn't connect
to this host already, and therefore, ssh doesn't know about the host key.

In a perfect world, you would contact the sysadmin of this box via
phone or something, and verify that the host key you see is the correct
one (so no one performed a Man-In-The-Middle attack on you).

If you have physical access to that box somehow, you could also check the key
yourself.

But most of the time, you actually answer Yes there, just
to accept the host key the first time.  If this first connect didn't suffer
froma MITM attack, then successive connects to that host can be verified, that is,
ssh saves the host-key in ~/.ssh/known_hosts, and can verify that the host key
of the other end didn't change.

Sometimes it will also happen that this host key actually really changed
(e.g., the machine got reinstalled or something else), then
ssh will warn you that the host key does not match, and will abort the connect.

In this case you simply edit ~/.ssh/known_hosts...

--
Hope this helps,
  Mario