BUYING A COMPUTER FOR LINUX

Hi!
At the moment, I have both a desktop and laptop computers.  Looking at both
systems, I found that some of the hardware might be a problem for having a
Linux system on them.
I know this may be some time away, maybe not until I leave home or until my
computers break down but could anyone suggest as to how I could buy a PC or
laptop which I can be certain will support Linux?
I live in the UK and I am told that it is near impossible or even impossible
to buy a system which will support Linux.  I know in the US the problem is
made slightly easier because there is a specific store which sells systems
some of which even come with Linux Pre-installed.
How would I go about buying a system in the future?
Would I have to go into a PC store like PCworld for example and say I want a
Linux supporting PC because they are not likely to know what hardware will
not work and they are not likely to try installing Linux on different PCs
just to see which machine will support it.
Also if I were to leave home I am thinking of having broadband or some kind
of high speed Internet access such as ADSL.  What would you suggest for this
or as this is a new service, should Linux support it meaning is it easy
enough to get an ADSL connection working with Linux?
Any advice would be helpful.