Changing from Redhat to Debian

On Monday 12 August 2002 08:33, Rafael Skodlar,,, wrote:
> Redhat made a big mistake with major differences between 7.0 and 7.1
> where the upgrade was impossible.

I've never heard that before. I avoided 7.0, but I did upgrade 6.2 to 7.1 and
if that's possible, I don't see why 7.0 to 7.1 would have presented any
difficulty.

> Another reason is that in order to
> quickly download necessary security updates, Redhat charges $60 per
> system per year which is too much IMO when the alternative is free. I do
> not mind paying something for the software but there are limits.

I've not found a reason to pay for such a service. The updates are freely
available for all. I don't get priority access, but I doubt that's very
important to small users. Even if I did value it, $60 (even $US60) doesn't
seem a lot to pay to get priority access for maintenance for something you
can get for no charge.

Besides that, membership of RHN is free for your first machine.

--

Cheers
John.

Please, no off-list mail. You will fall foul of my spam treatment.