Problem with booting into Linux

On Sat, 10 Aug 2002, Geetha Shamanna wrote:

> I use Redhat 7.1, which did not come with a Linux rescue floppy.

The Red Hat manuals, which are on the web for use in your browser
(and also downloadable for off line use), tell how to use your
install disk as a rescue disk.  If you have a full set of install
CD's, including the documentation CD, you probably can access the
manuals from the doc CD.

I think the speakup site tells you how to download a modest
amount of stuff, and modify the the install floppy (or CD, if you
have a CD writer), so as to speech enable them.  Hopefully, the
rescue mode would work with the speech modifications.  Can
someone that runs speakup (I don't) confirm this, or suggest an
alternative?

The reason you will need a speech enabled rescue disk or other
boot scheme with speech through speakup from the start is this:

The Red Hat boot procedure normally automatically repairs the
filesystem when shut down improperly (the "fsck" check and repair
command mentioned in other posts is built into the boot
procedure, and the system knows when it needs to be done).  What
happened to you probably means that it was unable to make the
necessary repairs, and needs more intelligent intervention.  With
new users, this usually means that the user has repeatedly cut
power or reset the computer without a proper shutdown, so that
extensive filesystem damage has accumulated.  After you have
fixed the filesystem problem, you will need to add some beeps to
the halt script, /etc/rc.d/init.d/halt, at the end; a line like
this should do it:

echo -e "\a\c"; sleep 1; echo -e "\a\c"; sleep 1; echo -e "\a\c"

which will give you 3 beeps, spaced one second apart (modify
pattern to taste).  That way you can just do a ctrl-alt-del from
text mode, which runs the shutdown command for you, and wait till
you hear the beeps before resetting or powering off (or just
listen for sounds of the reboot, if your machine makes distictive
enough noises).

Now, concerning the repair problem: you will possibly need to
look around for some instruction in the manuals, or a HOWTO on
what to do in such a situation.  I have run linux and Red Hat for
years, with many power outages that forced an improper shutdown,
but the damage has always been fixed with no problem, so I have
no real experience with this situation: the linux filesystems and
the fsck procedure are very robust, so that automatic repairs are
virtually always successful.  Most people here are likely in the
same boat and can't give much specific help.  If you don't have
much data to lose (your linux system is a recent install, with
little modification), you might find it easier to just
re-install, or better yet, upgrade to Red Hat 7.3 (see the blinux
FAQ for info on how to get very inexpensive upgrade/install
CD-ROM disks).

Alternatively, if no one here can tutor you through this, and you
don't find some HOWTO or other instruction (search on, say,
http://www.tldp.org/ -- the Linux Documentation Project web page,
or http://www.google.com/linux ), try posting to one of the
really high traffic linux news groups, like comp.os.linux.setup
(be prepared to search for relevant answers among hundreds of
other posts each day -- use a news reader that makes this kind of
keyword searching easy).

Hope this helps, LCR

--
L. C. Robinson
reply to no_spam+munged_lcr@onewest.net.invalid

People buy MicroShaft for compatibility, but get incompatibility and
instability instead.  This is award winning "innovation".  Find
out how MS holds your data hostage with "The *Lens*"; see
"CyberSnare" at http://www.netaction.org/msoft/cybersnare.html