Financial Program for Linux

When I want to balance a checkbook I use a spreadsheet program.  supercalc
7 works well enough for that purpose and I can do additional kinds of
calculations like figure out each time my pay rate changes at the
beginning of the year how much house I could afford on that pay.  Also
what the effective tax rate turns out to be is easily enough done.  Other
accessible spreadsheet programs exist like oleo that are also under the
copyleft license too.  If I don't want to use a spreadsheet even with all
of its advantages, I can easily enough fire up dc and use that.  I think
there's a way to make dc calculate like a regular calculator too.  At
least I got that working once.