Partition help

On Mon, 5 Aug 2002, Mitchell Smith wrote:

> better put, your d:\ partition.
>
> So if thats where you want to installed Linux, delete the hda2
> partition by hitting the letter d in fdisk, and entering 2 as
> the partition number that you want to delete.

Another possibly safer approach (less confusing?) might be to use
the fdisk under MS-DOS(win) to remove the unwanted partition,
leaving free space; then use only the resulting free space for
linux partitions.   The difference in the naming schemes wouldn't
be a consideration in this case.  It's usually not recommended to
manipulate partitions belonging to a different OS (operating
system) with a utility foreign to that OS.  The linux fdisk
documentation alludes to some specific problems that can result
from ignoring that advice, if memory serves me.

LCR

L. C. Robinson
reply to no_spam+munged_lcr@onewest.net.invalid

People buy MicroShaft for compatibility, but get incompatibility and
instability instead.  This is award winning "innovation".  Find
out how MS holds your data hostage with "The *Lens*"; see
"CyberSnare" at http://www.netaction.org/msoft/cybersnare.html