kernel problem

On Sat, 3 Aug 2002, Darragh wrote:

> Thanks for that.  I've just spent the last hour and a half on
> the internet looking for an update to 7.3

Why?  I directed you to the blinux FAQ.  When you have read that,
you will have a much more complete answer to your questions,
including where, and in what form to get your 7.3 disks.  One
place not listed in the FAQ, is http://www.tummy.com/krud/, where
you can get cheap CDs with all the security updates already added,
along with some enhancements (can save a lot of downloading --
probably by now you would need 200 meg or more of files to fix up
and secure RH7.0 (installing security updates is "mandatory" for
internet users), and it would still be inferior).

> I've found individual fixes but is there a file or two that I
> could download?

Any distribution involves hundreds of files.  Redhat explains
the upgrade process in their manuals, which are available on
www.redhat.com, its mirrors, and on their documentation CD.

Also, when you are on the Red Hat web site, subscribe to some of
their mailing lists (the announce one, at a minimum).

> You spoke of scripts, are these downloadable?  If so could you
> give me the URL?

Read the kickstart chapter in the Red Hat manuals (currently
found in the Configuration Guide manual, for 7.3, formerly
in the reference guide): things will be clearer after that.

> Don't forget, I'm still in Windows until I get speak up to
> speak to me.

Or get a user space screen reader instead, as I suggested (many
users like both, since emacspeak offers a complete audio desktop
system).

> I've learned that the kickstart program that you mentioned in
> your last mail can take files of a partition or floppy.

Again, you have misunderstood.  These are just the same collected
files that are usually found on a set of CD-ROM disks -- but more
convenient for administrators who might have to install dozens or
hundreds of machines over, say, a network, using a customized
kickstart installation script to automate the process.  Why would
a blind user prefer kickstart to an interactive install?  Because
you can preselect the answers to all the installation or upgrade
questions ahead of time, in a simple ascii file prepared with an
ordinary text editor.  But this is not for users who don't want
to read and follow manuals, and who prefer menus and help
screens, instead of text commands.  There are only a few
kickstart commands that are applicable for a blind user doing an
upgrade -- much simpler than a full kickstart install, which
might be daunting for a newbie who wants the GUI too.

> That's what I like to hear.  If I can get a file which will
> update the necessary files just so I can get the thing to speak
> I'll hopefully be able to get my Barings.

Maybe after you get more understanding of things, you can look
into an rpm version of the debian apt-get, which can
automatically download and upgrade the hundreds of files involved
in a complete upgrade over several nights.  I don't know if that
would work well for a new user, though.

Your best bet might to go to http://www.linux.com/ and follow the
link for finding a LUG (linux user group) in your area, so you
can get local help: probably someone would be willing to copy
their Red Hat 7.3 CD's for you, or loan them to you.  LUGs can be
a great source of hands-on local help, and commonly host install
fests at their meetings, where new users can get experienced
hands on help.

Note that I have deliberately ignored several likely follow up
questions, and many details, because they are covered in the FAQs
and documentation you have been pointed to.

LCR

--
L. C. Robinson
reply to no_spam+munged_lcr@onewest.net.invalid

People buy MicroShaft for compatibility, but get incompatibility and
instability instead.  This is award winning "innovation".  Find
out how MS holds your data hostage with "The *Lens*"; see
"CyberSnare" at http://www.netaction.org/msoft/cybersnare.html