Re: Table support in LYNX.

I have been lurking here for a few months.

Lynx will never improve its table support unless some serious
programmers are found to work on it.

Since about version 2.5, Lynx has "supported" tables.  This means
approximately the following:  Each <td> tag to start the next cell in
the same row creates one space in the output.  Each <tr> tag to start
a new row of cells goes to a new line in the output.  All other tags
found within cells perform their normal functions.  This has the
desirable effect for us that <br> tags in tall, columnar cells will
break up the output into multiple lines when such cells are being
used to divide a web page into multiple newspaper-style columns.

This restricted table interpretation comes from the fact that Lynx
parses HTML in only one pass.  It does not look ahead to determine
how many columns a table contains, nor whether the present table
contains other tables, forms, and other stuff nested within it.
Many, many tables on the web are displayed with proportional-pitch
fonts, and with far more than 80 characters across the screen.  Lynx
will, on startup, set itself to display at width and height
appropriate to the terminal definition it sees in its environment,
but what should happen when a table is wider than the display?
Currently, Lynx has no keyboard commands in it for horizontal
scrolling.  How would we, as screen reader users of Lynx, want
tables handled better, anyway?

For better understanding of the issues, the source code is available
for inspection and modification. The currently active developers
hang out on a majordomo listserver called

  Lynx-dev@sig.net

On Wed, 12 Aug 1998 22:24:36 -0400 (EDT),
Dave Mielke   <davem@cpu2311.adsl.bellglobal.com> wrote:

>Does anyone know if there are plans to add support for HTML tables to
>LYNX?
>--
>Dave Mielke       | Phone: 1-613-726-0014
>856 Grenon Avenue | Email: dmielke@sympatico.ca
>Ottawa, Ontario   |
>Canada  K2B 6G3   |

-- Lloyd Rasmussen
Senior Staff Engineer, Engineering Section
National Library Service for the  Blind and Physically Handicapped
Library of Congress          202-707-0535
(work)       lras@loc.gov    http://www.loc.gov/nls/
(home) lras@sprynet.com http://home.sprynet.com/sprynet/lras/