HELP!!!! i'm an idiot!!!

HELP!;

the machinery;
desktop SPARC 2 workstation 64mb RAM/type 4 kybd.
OS, etc; Solaris 2.4.1/CDE 1.2/OPENWINDOWS Vers.?
generic UNIX vers. V

the problem;
my roommate, who is in finland for the next month, recently purchased
several of the above systems, as he is what most folks would call a
'computer genius...i, on the other hand, am not. i can get around on
pc's and macs but UNIX/Linux...forget it! i admit i haven't the patience
to learn the system- i am familiar with a handful of vital
commands/functions, but just what i need to know...i am far from being a
complete idiot, but i have a VERY basic understanding of the diff
between a shell and a kernel..so- there are 3 workstations in the house
(yes, the house)- yesterday, the one i have been working on did this;
 i was running netscape and all of a sudden, my workspace started to
disentegrate...first, netscape, then the color, and then NOTHING.
i hit "stop-A" and typed "sync"- the machine began to sync and then it
just froze...i left it alone for about an hour and nothing had changed
upon my return so i shut it down.  when i switched it back on, it could
not find the boot device. i then applied logic. i keyed in help/system
and so on ...i keyed in "words", looking for commands that might get me
there but nothing worked (find-dev, locate-device, setenv commands,
etc)..  i tried booting -a/-as...boot fd,boot sd, boot le...still the
same.  i then tried switching the drive on while holding down
'stop-D'... i could go on but i would not know what info to write that
might assist someone in assisting me.

so, it 'can't find boot device' when attempting to boot from the disk,
and when i switch it to boot from net, it gives me something like
'waiting for ARP/RARP' (which never comes... i have no cdrom drive, no
boot disks, no tape drive, etc... and no sense whatsoever of how i might
rectify this little fix i've gotten myself into...also, my roommate is
the root-user so a bunch of the commands i tried gave me "Data Access
Exception", and i found very minimal assistance on the web...well, that
about wraps it up...

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE HELP ME!?!?!?