formating query.

Hello:
I am writing to ask a couple of questions about reading file formats.
I checked the Blinux list archive and there is reference to xpdf.  My
query is:
Has anyone been able to read PDF files in a shel environment and if so how
can this be achieved?

Whilst I am at this, is there a way to read Word files as well.
There must be conversion programs that will do these formats to HTML or
ASCII.
Any assistance is appreciated.  This maybe a common question that ought to
be added to the FAQ.

Mark Muscat