problem with cdrom in ide-scsi for use with abcde and/or cdparanoia

Hey, I don't know where you are getting your assumptions, David.
I edidn't do this as a module; it is in the kernel, including generic scsi
support.
And several people on several lists have told me it is better to put both the
cdrw and cdrom as ide-scsi rather than trying to keep one itapi.
And I read the cdrw-howto quite thoroughly.