Running a Linux Office

On Wed, Sep 19, 2001 at 01:51:36AM -0400, John J. Boyer wrote:
> Hello,
> As it happens, we just got infected with the new worm. It propagated over
> our network to four different computers. I've been steadily getting sick of
> Windows, so now i'm wondering how hard it would be to convert a five-person
> office from Windows to Linux. We must also be able to use DOS in native
> mode.

This is not an easy question because we don't know what kind of
applications you need to run the business. I would start with a server and
Samba to have stable environment for printing, email, backup, or anything
else.

The most difficult part is the applications. Depending on what you do it
might be difficult to find the right software for the right price. For
general office work StarOffice is good enough and it will be even better
when 6.0 comes out. There are other similar office tools coming out in the
near future.

Another important issue is learning new tools to do the job. For example,
learning Gimp for graphics manipulation, etc.

You would need to install dosemu to run DOS programs in Linux. That is
critical since there is no guarantee it will work. There are still some
programs that might not work. Alternative would be VMWARE to run windows
programs inside Linux. The good thing about it is that you can roll back
to before the virus attack I believe.

--
Rafael