kernel patching

I'm wondering for patching kernel files like vmlinuz-2.2.16-22 in /boot
wouldn't it be better to use dd rather than cp?  If I remember correctly
dd is supposed to be what's used to copy binary files in unix.  Me and
Bill Hacker tried the other night to update my kernel and things got
broken.  Also, I ran md5sum on the first instance of vmlinuz-2.2.16-22 I
downloaded as well as on the second download of that file and the numbers
were identical.  I'd send Bill the md5sum number I got but his older email
address of whacker@octothorp.org doesn't work anymore and I haven't got a
newer address for him yet.

Jude <jdashiel@shellworld.net>