Ameritech.net

On Fri, 07 Sep 2001, Janina Sajka <janina@afb.net> wrote:

> I was a Verizon DSL customer when the company was still called Bell
> Atlantic and when consumer DSL service was still very new beginning in

Oh yes, oh yes... I'm not a verizon user myself but a person close to
me is, and it is a total nightmare. Their dial-up service is barely
decent and their DSL service is anything but decent. I hate to smash a
company like that, even though it's a tremendously big one, but just
don't deal with them if you can help it, well, at least not in
anything that concerns computers.

By the way, this is a rather common problem since cheap internet access
has come around. Companies can make a lot of profit with relatively
small investments; of course their customer pool grows very quickly,
often more quickly than they expand, and they, the companies, often
prefer to have greater profits than to invest back in their systems as
they should. The result is a service whose resources are always
strained to the very limit and then things can easily go amiss.  So
when you consider a service, such as DSL, consider rather the company
with which you will deal than the technology itself. Computers
still require people to make them work, and if they are managed by
incompetent people or people whose sole interest is profit they will
grow faulty.

Also, the open non-support of linux seems to be a very common practice
among ISPs. In my ISP's case it's even worse, I know for a fact that
they use linux, at least on their web server, but they won't support
it: funny way to pay back the community, don't you think?

Just my two pennies.