Ameritech.net

Yes, what you say is true as far as it goes; dsl is done by ethernet with
an ethernet modem.  However, you have to have software to make this work;
for windows users, this software comes with the installation kit, but for
linux users it means installing packages.  In this case, it was pppoe
(roaring penguin version).  Aparently, pppoe works in combination with
pppd for linking; if all went well, this would happen at boot and there
would be no problem.  However, in this case, all did not go well and I
don't know why.  I am sure lots of people have good experiences with
ameritech; I was only relating my experience so people could be warned
that they might have a problem.

Cheryl