Hardware solutions to Linux accessibility

I'm sure it does, but then, how would one do it with speech? With speakup,
you still get stuck rebooting, which may not be good in certain situations.
Someone on a list suggested a way to get minicom going on a sega dreamcast,
but the snag with imbedded stuff is speech or braille, I'd go speech
because it's cheaper, but something a little smaller than a dreamcast would
be desirable for any practical use.
At 12:53 PM 10/18/01 +0100, you wrote:
>Hi All,
>
>Discussions recently about serial access to Linux, as well as Carl Dahlke's
>work on kernel adapters made me think once more about whether it wouldn't be
>possible with today's technology to re-explore the idea of braille/speech
>using access via expansion slots on PC's.  Admittedly my understanding of how
>this works, and indeed of the hardware side of things in general means that I
>can't actually hazard much of a suggestion as to the way forward on this.  My
>prompt for thinking about this was that by pure chance, I still happened to
>have a hardware driven Braillex display connected to a machine I was
trying to
>install Linux on, that I hadn't realised would work with Linux.  After
several
>posts to this list earlier in the year, I was very grateful to receive
helpful
>suggestions on how to get this working, and it is really so much easier to
>use, and gives acess so much earlier in the boot/install process that it
seems
>a shame to abandon it without some sort of discussion about revisiting this
>solution.
>
>The hardware solution became more or less obsolete for Windows access, when
>screens could no longer be relied on to be a fixed size, (although thinking
>about it, I'm not sure why this should have been such a problem).  For
25-line
>X 80-column screens, its very hard to beat.  When I switch on my machine, I
>see the memory check, and BIOS password prompt, and then all the information
>even before the kernel is booted.
>
>Even though I've tried brltty, and found it to be an excellent piece of
>software, it still doesn't provide the snappy response to braille navigation
>functions as the hardware solution.
>
>Obviously the disadvantages are pretty numerous as well, though I'm not sure
>how many of these are features of the age of the technology.  You have to
>install a video card which is compatible with the Brailex interface card.
The