cygwin?

I found things worked about as I expected with asap--but I only spent time
in bash and in lynx. The lynx.cfg is not screen reader friendly out of the
box. But, I did manage to get the necessary tweaks into it and it began to
behave as it should. I was pleased, also, to note that it is a relatively
recent lynx and comes with SSL support.

Other problem I noticed was path and file - directory separator related --
i.e. a conflict between unix forward slash and DOS backslash. Sometimes,
the configs still held forward slashes. But, I must say that I didn't
install into the default directory, so I may have mucked it up a bit the
first time. I did reinstall pristinely last night to defaults, but I did
not yet play with it.

PS: You'll be amusied and I think delighted to discover that it comes with
minicom whose documentation says that it is based a lot on telex. A lovely
close of the circle there, I think.