joining a bunch of files

Join, meaning the relational database utility?

Even if that can do this, and I'm not convinsed that it can, that is a lot
of learning for a simple problem--from one readthrough of the man page, I
have no clear picture of what this is even supposed to acomplish, let
alone how to make it do things for which it does not appear to be
intended.