Grade 2 for Brltty (was looking for...

John,

The problem of translating only enough text to fill the display at one
time is this. You would be unable to continuously read grade two text
without having to always toggle back to computer braille, advance the
display, then toggle back to grade two, then toggle back to computer
braille, then advance the display then toggle back to grade two braille,
etc. This would be really annoying and would, in my opinion render grade
two braille in brltty useless. doing all that toggle switching every time
you advanced the display would be too time consuming and useless. Unless,
of course, I am misunderstanding you. When you say the display, do you
really mean the brltty screen buffer? If you do, then I agree. You would
really need to translate whatever goes into the brltty screen buffer as
text is filled into it or take snapshots of it every so often or whenever
a key is presses on the keyboard or whenever a braille keypad key is
presses. I am not sure. I am not a programmer, and do not know how
difficult it would be. But, if TeleSensory did it using Duxbury's
view2.exe program with spb.exe for the PowerBraille, then I know it is
doable. It's just a suggestion, because, one of the things we all know is
wrong with computer braille is that when reading English text for long
periods of time on the net, like a book or magazine or long web page of
text, speech is sometimes faster than braille, especially one-to-one
braille. Grade two has a more natural feel to most blind people who read
braille.

--
Bill Gaughan
wgaughan@snet.net