linux, and audio.

On Sun, 25 Nov 2001, Bill Gaughan wrote:

> ... And, how come some live365 sites let you have access with
> "trplayer" thru "lynx" and others don't?

I see all too many sites going exclusively with the M$ Windoze
Media Player, with it's ultimate proprietary lock in.  Take
comfort in the fact that M$ has been a consistent failure in it's
efforts to co-opt the internet and it's protocols, and that
they're now, by their own admission, running scared of Linux.  So
vendors and stations will soon wise up, and switch to something
more open (if they survive).

In the meantime, the internet has a vast selection of alternative
sites.  I used to chuckle at the sites that tried to register
you, and even tried to charge fees for access.  Some wannabees
just don't have a clue about the internet, and that includes most
of the old media (ABC, MSNBC, CBS, big newspapers and magazines,
etc) with their carefully filtered news and old media biases
(don't you just love trying to navigate their stupidly designed
sites)?  They are now all bleeding cash heavily, and many are
dying, even as the New Media, exemplified by the leading
www.wnd.com, and the new media sites they link to, prosper (while
the Old Media pretend that that ALL the internet media are
failing with them).

> ...we have simply got to find a way around this "unsupported
> url scheme" message we all get when we try to invoke JavaScript
> in lynx.

The solution of a previous poster (checking the HTML source for
the URL) is maybe the most sensible idea for now.  Automated
solutions will come with time.  And vote with your feet for the
new media sites that have a clue about the internet, and real
content.

> I fear that lynx and maybe linux, will soon be useless to us
> all unless we gain full meaningful and understandable access to
> X-Windows and X applications like Netscape for Linux. I fear
> that, once again, we will be left behind, or forced to stumble
> thru the jumble of MS Windows software products.

There's nothing to worry about there.  This concern comes up from
time to time on this list, among newbies to linux.  You can
consult the list archives for detailed discussions.  I will only
comment that once you understand the Unix philosophy (there are
HOWTOs and FAQs on this), you will understand why text based apps
continue to grow at an astonishing rate, and how much power
exists in this arena (GUI apps can never hope to approach that
level of functionality and power).  Increasing, the GUI apps are
just dumbed down front ends on top of these text and script based
apps, or (often somewhat limited) alternative interfaces added to
them.

> Until computers and the computer hardware and software industry
> develop national and international uniform standards,

You mean, like the development of the internet and Open Source?
<grin>

> computers will continue to be useful toys.

You may realize that M$ OS software has been routinely referred
to as a toy on many expert discussion lists, for some time now,
and for good reason.

> Just look at what a disaster internet radio has become with the
> folding of netradio.com last month. Not to speak of the
> disaster the dispute over royalty pay to announcers and
> advertising actors has done to internet radio. Many broadcasts
> have pulled content from the internet because of the fear of
> lawsuits, because the actors guild that records the
> advertisements wants to be payed twice on their royalties, once
> for conventional media (radio) and again for being broadcast on
> the internet.

Not familar with this.  Sounds like more of the typical problems
with the Old Media paradigm.  Just be patient -- it's becoming
increasingly obvious that there's nothing the old media giants
can do to stop, or even slow the change.  A good example is the
recent discussion here of DRM (basically copy protection), as it
relates to some new accessibility and electronic book standards.
For an excellent discussion of what the old media are up against,
just in the DRM area, in mp3 format, see:

http://www.ima.umn.edu/recordings/Public_Lecture/2000-2001/feb_12_01/schneier-24.mp3

It is about 15 meg, so you may wish to download it at night, if
you don't have a fast connection.  This is a lecture, followed by
discussion, by Bruce Schneier, a world authority in computer
security and cryptology.  This guy has a talent for explaining
complicated issues in terms even ordinary mortals can follow, and
he even manages to make it entertaining much of the time.  If you
want more info in text format, see his site at
http://www.counterpane.com/ (hint, search for "copy protection"
and "snake oil").

Note that we have come full circle here, to the original
question, which was about accessible audio formats: M$ is
promising what it can never deliver to content vendors (nor can
anyone), in terms of DRM.  Eventually even the dumbest of M$
customers (publishers and broadcasters) will get wise to the
scam (well, ok, the survivors anyway).

LCR

--
L. C. Robinson
reply to no_spam+munged_lcr@onewest.net.invalid

People buy MicroShaft for compatibility, but get incompatibility and
instability instead.  This is award winning "innovation".  Find
out how MS holds your data hostage with "The *Lens*"; see
"CyberSnare" at http://www.netaction.org/msoft/cybersnare.html