Problems with Brltty

Actually, while there is a 2.99U, I don't think it's up on the site; I
think 2.98 is the latest on the site, at least that I can find.
John, you're sure that you aren't being
 brought up in Xwindows; I know you
mentioned checking whether you are in a text console, but double check.
What happens when you try to change consoles with alt-function key if
you're on 1 then try f2 for instance).  (on my keyboard
with its current map that has to be the left alt).
I could be totally wrong, but I think this maybe something in your
system's interaction with brltty and not just a brltty problem.