the Papenmeir device that was supposed to be coming out

Yes, yes. Very important. Thanks for reminding us of this device.

I believe the intended audience was people with few economic means and
also people with poor or nonexistant literacy skills.  Devices like this
have enormous potential to reach people who are not yet benefiting from
information technology. They will also have an important role in
increasing literacy and employability, particularly in areas like south
Asia, Africa, and South America (to say nothing of some native Indian
areas of the U.S., etc).

The important point, though, is that the price of technology is not
ordained, and it should and can come down. It is generally expected that
computers will become a throw away item in a few decades. I hope no one
here thinks that doesn't apply to their computers, because it does.

--

				Janina Sajka, Director
				Technology Research and Development

Email: janina@afb.net		Phone: (202) 408-8175

Chair, Accessibility SIG
Open Electronic Book Forum (OEBF)
http://www.openebook.org

Surpassing Gutenberg, at http://www.afb.org/ebook.asp

http://www.afb.org/mlkweb.asp

Learn how to make accessible software at
http://www.afb.org/accessapp.asp