From: "A. R. Vener" <salt@aero-vision.com>
To: <blinux-list@redhat.com>
Sent: Tuesday, November 13, 2001 6:43 PM
Subject: Re: the Papenmeir device that was supposed to be coming out

Janine,

What don't you buy? Other than the Kurzweil reader I mean ? :-)

Sure Kurzweil came down in price.

That's the market forces at work.

Here's how it goes. At $10,000 a smack it is worth Arkenstones
time and effort to come out with a comnpeting product which they
can sell at half the price.  What does Kurzweiler do? Do they
walk away from this market or do they cut their prices and take a
smaller profit?    They take a smaller profit of course. They cut
costs as needed and adjust to the new market conditions (i.e. a
competitor).

If you are convinced that Blazie products overcharges and has a poor
quality product it is your right to compete against them with something
better at a lower cost.  Or it is your right to not buy their product.
It is their right to charge whatever they want for their product.  Once
again
it is  the market forces which  drive the price. Obviously there
were enough customers willing to pay their price. Just
as obviously their price was not so staggeringly high that it
invited immediate competition.

As far as Blazie's business model, obviously it was a good one
if they could afford corporate jets.  Beleive it or not, this too is
not wrong. This is how private enterprise works and it does a damn good
job of providing the goods and services that customers need and want.

You talk about the component parts of a product as if they were the
sum total of the product. They aren't.   Take some flour, sugar and
apples.
Total cost of maybe fifty cents, but an experienced baker can turn those
items into a mouth watering pie, while if they were given to me, I'd
probably
turn them into a product  worthy of the trash can.

If you think Papenmeyer (sp?) is overpriced, feel free
to go into competetion with them using the freely available
software and hardware components you itemized in your last post.

Who knows.  The competition may drive the price down.

Rudy

On Tue, Nov 13, 2001 at 05:34:42PM -0500, Janina Sajka wrote:
> I don't buy it. Once upon a time Kurzweil scanning systems cost
$10,000
> U.S. My employer, American Foundation for the Blind, worked with
Kurzweil
> to develop a loan program whereby blind people could buy this
wonderful
> technology. Fortunately, before we issued very many $10K loans,
Arkenstone
> came along at about $5,000. Immediately, Kurzweil figured out how to
sell
> its systems at the lower price. Of course, this was many years ago,
but I
> don't believe things have changed that muhc.
>
> For years, Blazie was the only game in town. So, they sold and sold,
and
> neglected to innovate. Thus, today's Blazie based devices are still
little
> more than mid-1980's technologies. Yet there prices have not dropped.
> Regretably, the newer crop of devices seem to prefer holding the line
on
> price. I don't accept that. It's a travesty, in my view, as proven by
the
> Blazie folks who managed to get a couple of company Lear jets before
> selling to Freedom Scientific for $15 Million.
>
> I've heard this all before, but what's so darned proprietary in these
> products? The processors? Heck no. The memory? No, again. Perhaps the
> ethernet and modem and parallel ports? No, again. Maybe the software?
Not