2nd keyboard question (Was: keyboard dilemmas)

On Wed, 7 Nov 2001, Cheryl Homiak wrote:
<snip>
> I either get a keypad where the right alt doesn't work, so
> that i have to do left alt plus F-1 to change consoles;
> this keyboard also ...

This is normal behavior, unless you customize.  Right-alt F1
through F12 are normally set up to reach consoles 13 through
24.  Your distribution probably doesn't even have all the
devices made in /dev for all the 64 possible virtual
terminals (who needs them), but there is a script,
/dev/MAKEDEV, to assist in making such things.  Then you can
add gettys in /etc/inittab, for as many as you can keep
track of. (grin)

You can also do alt-right-arrow, and alt-left-arrow to move
between consoles, and other mappings are possible, such as
alt-SysRq, to toggle between two.

Finally, there's a daemon you can run that will dynamically
start new gettys on additional consoles on demand, and you
can probably use the "open" command to start anything you
want on an unused console, provided it is SUID (a security
hole), or you have permissions for the tty.

Now here's what I'm wondering about: is it possible to
independently assign some ttys or pseudo terminals to a
second keyboard (say, a USB one), while allowing sighted
family members or co-workers to use the normal console
(probably with X-windows running in one of the consoles)?

LCR

--
L. C. Robinson
reply to no_spam+munged_lcr@onewest.net.invalid

People buy MicroShaft for compatibility, but get incompatibility and
instability instead.  This is award winning "innovation".  Find
out how MS holds your data hostage with "The *Lens*"; see
"CyberSnare" at http://www.netaction.org/msoft/cybersnare.html