Terminal Program Using Ymodem

On Mon, 31 Dec 2001, Cheryl Homiak wrote:

> Wouldn't sz be for zmodem? The braillelite doesn't support zmodem. And

Sz is the name of the package (lrzsz), which contains all of the
down/upload protocols--z, y, x, b, etc..

> what does the -b stand for? I am sure I will find it going through the man

Binary.  For sending binary (non-text) files, or for sending files that
you do not want translated to the local new line convension.

> page, but if you are going to give directions, it's a good idea to tell
> what they mean.
> Also, not at all meaning to be crabby, but for me with debian, I don't
> have a problem knowing where packages are, but redhat's setup is different
> from debian. John is a newbie, and it isn't helpful to tell him that a
> package can be downloaded "at the normal places".
> If he knew what "the normal places" were, he wouldn't have to ask on
> this list. Thanks for the info, though.

Um, with all due respect to you and John: I have enough faith in John's
intelligence, to believe that he will ask questions about those points
which he does not understand.  If he didn't know what sz was, what -b
ment, or where "the normal places" were, I have to assume that he will
ask.  Otherwise a short answer to a question, will turn into a novel, as
each little aspect is explained, muchof which would be unnecessary, as I
am certain he already knows some things.  That would certainly preclude
me, and probably others, from answering at all.  If on the other hand, one
can answer a brief question with a brief answer, and then elaborate on
spesific points that the questioner does not understand, the questioner is
much more likely to receive answers.

Since John has apparently communicated to you that he does not know where
"the normal places" are, I will tell him to start with:

ftp://sunsite.unc.edu/pub/Linux
http://sunsite.unc.edu/pub/Linux

Regards,

Luke