Rogue Processes

What you are listing there are not processes. Those are references to
scripts that will start different processes or daemons when switching to
a particular run level.

In order to see processes run 'ps -ax' or a variant of that.

Unless you are using PPPOE or isdn then you might want to turn those off
in run levels.

More usable information to troubleshoot your problem could be get with

cat /proc/devices
cat /proc/interrupts
cat /proc/ioports
procinfo

and of course dmesg that tells you what happened during boot.

Serial ports are normaly not messed up in Linux unless the BIOS has
something to do with it. It is possible to swap or change parameters for
serial port configuration under BIOS. Since you have winmodem it might be
a good idea to configure whatever serial port you have problems with to
use another (nondefault) IRQ. Interrupt lines 10, 11, and 15 are not used
in all computers unless you have two hard drives and SCSI controller.

You can make changes to serial port configuration with command setserial.
In my old Pentium 120 with SCSI, 2 IDE drives, serial port for mouse, and
X-10, and a modem I had to do that. Fortunately, the modem was able to
work using IRQ 10.

Newer motherboards with PCI can use additional interrupts above 15, up to
31 I believe. That makes it easier to spread the hardware configuration
and accomodate all peripherals in the system.

Man I hate Pee Cee architecture!

On Wed, Dec 19, 2001 at 12:43:38PM -0600, John J. Boyer wrote:
> Hello,
> A while back I sent a message saying that I had solved my problems with
> Braille output by getting rid of a winmodem which was in serial port 3,
> sharing an IRQ sith serial port 1, where my Braille Lite is connectedd.
> This was a bit premature. After running kudzu and rebooting things were
> much better, but something still interferes from time to time. I think the
> Redhat 7.1 install program must have installed something for the modem
> which is still trying to use IRQ 4. So I ran chkconfig --list to try to
> spot the rogue process. The output is below. Which processes should I get
> rid of?
> Thanks.
> John

Rafael