cellular net access?

Hi.

On Tue, 18 Dec 2001 11:09:06 -0600
Brent Harding <bharding@doorpi.net> wrote:

> Heardd that sprint uses cdma. Wh then, if everything's using mostly cdma or
> gsm, do I need different phones for each cell company? Or is it like dsl,
> in that each type of modem and isp use different protocols based on the
> same thing? I know that with dsl that's true, but cell shouldn't be.

GSM enforces "strong" authentication. Meaning: your cell
phone uses a microchip to register itself on the GSM
network when you turn it on. This allows the provider to
check for stolen cell phones, and reject connections by
microchips that have been declared stolen by their owner.

On the other hand, the microchip only identifies one
subscriber: you can use the same chip on different
phones, but only if they accept the same type of chips.

For instance phone "A" and phone "B" may be used with
the same chip. But that means there is only one line
for both.

Different providers may also use slightly different
frequencies to differentiate one network from another.
But I am not really sure about this. I think the main
difference really is the microchip. The GSM standard
is pretty detailed and I am not sure its digital
transmission system allows different frequencies.

Regards,

|   Gil Andre -- Technical Writer     |
|Knox Software: http://www.arkeia.com |
|     email: gandre@arkeia.com        |