shellworld attacked!!!

On Thu, 13 Dec 2001, Gil Andre wrote:
 > The "scriptkiddies" are the users. The people who write the
 > scripts are, themselves, much more talented. Most of the time
 > they *do* *not* use their own scripts to do damage. They just
 > discover a security problem, test it a couple of times, write
 > a script to prove that it is a real and present danger (and not
 > just a theoretical one) and send the whole thing to the
 > software company and to some security web site, such as BugTraq.
I know, therfore the "attackers" of shellworld can be defined in the
kiddie-cat

 > Actually, Microsoft usually reacts pretty quickly. The problem
 > is the sheer number of security problems discovered every week.
 > And also the fact that MS Windows is such a huge beast that one
 > patch may well create new security issues or even break Windows
 > down... This has happened recently. And the number of patches
 > means most administrators do not have enough time to apply them
 > all to all their machines -- leaving servers exposed to worms,
 > viruses and script kiddies.
In short: windows is too big, incorporates too much in too many lines of
code intangled in just ONE os ;)

 > True. I was only giving Sun as an example of a big company that
 > was very slow to patch their security problems. Their situation
 > has improved somehow in the last few years, though.
ok

 > True, but NetBSD is not designed, first and foremost, with
 > security in mind. OpenBSD is NetBSD + several years of
 > security auditing of the source code. NetBSD has got an
 > excellent track record, though, but its emphasis is on
 > portability, not security.
Thanx, didn't know this.

 > That's the problem with Linux: most distributions install way too
 > many services on a machine.
by default (RH Mandrake, Suse)

 > In my opinion, a workstation should have OpenSSH enabled (for
 > distant administration) and not anything else.
Debina closes ssh for root login, although I think with OpenSSH for
protocol 2 they changed it.

 > Most Linux distributions, trying to help the beginner user, throw
 > in lpr, bind, Apache, FTP, telnet, NFS, etc, etc... All of which
 > make a machine very insecure.
I know, question is what does a beginner even want with all these
service. He/She probably will not even use them.

 > Which is why BSD has a small edge over Linux in this regard: in
 > a BSD system you have to activate all the services you want to
 > run -- the rest are inactive by default, which makes the machine
 > a little harder to configure but much more secure by default.
Look at the debian-baseinstall, no services included by default at all ;)

 > "Computer Forensics", meaning understanding what went wrong and
 > what the "hacker" did to the machines he/she attacked is a very
 > difficult subject. Especially if a "root kit" (compromised
 > binaries) was installed...
You should attend Sane2002 (http://www.sane2002.nl) if they have the
Blackhead session again ;)