Mounting Dos Partition on Bootup

On Fri, Dec 14, 2001 at 01:48:28PM -0600, John J. Boyer wrote:
> Hello,
> I would like to mount my dos and wWindows partition on boot-up, without
> having to log in a root to do so. What file needs to be changed? More

/etc/fstab
file keeps track of partitions and how they get mounted. For example:
/dev/fd0                /mnt/floppy             auto    noauto,owner    0 0

automaticaly mounts floppy and
/dev/cdrom              /mnt/cdrom              iso9660 noauto,owner,ro 0

mounts CD drive.

For DOS partitions you would need to have a mounting point,
/mnt/dos  for example and have an entry in fstab file

/dev/hdb1	/mnt/dos msdos noauto,owner,rw 0 0

> generally, which files control what Linux does on boot-up?

That's all under /etc. More specificaly /etc/rc.d and other /etc/rc.*
structure. Files that start with capital S are executed during bootup or
switch into a particular level, while files with K kill services for that
level.

/etc/rc?.d is the directory name for level you want to run. In most cases
level 3 and level 5 are used. Level 1 is for system maintenance and level
6 for reboot. To switch to different level after boot you run command
init.

init 3
for level 3.

init 6 to reboot.
init 0 to shutdown.

Files in /etc/rc?.d are links to scripts in /etc/init.d.

There is more to this but it should give you an idea what's going on.
Unfortunately, RedHat and Linux in general has scripts and network
configuration too complicated to quickly follow one script after the
other.

--
Rafael